Wisconsin Saddlebred History
WISCONSIN IS SADDLEBRED COUNTRY
Wisconsin has established a healthy Saddlebred industry which continues to grow year after year. Our state is the home of some of the finest breeders, trainers and year-round facilities in the nation.
You don’t have to own a horse to become a member of the American Saddlebred Association of Wisconsin. You don’t even have to know how to ride. All the ASAW requires is that you have a passion and interest in the American Saddlebred – “the horse America made!”
The ASAW was originally founded in 1942 as the Wisconsin Horse Association and over the years has evolved into a premier Saddlebred Association and Charter Club of the American Saddlebred Horse Association (ASHA). The purpose of the Association is to promote this beautiful breed throughout the State and the upper Midwest. The ASAW’s work takes on many forms, including the presentation of our very own horse show held annually in West Allis, WI. In addition, we promote the breed through clinics, demonstrations, a promotional and information booth at various equine events, the ASAW scholarship program and our annual Awards Banquet.
If you haven’t joined the ASAW already, we hope you will do so soon.
- Do it for the breed. Today, it’s more important than ever to make sure the public understands why the American Saddlebred is such a remarkable animal. Supporting the ASAW is a great way to continue to make sure the word gets out that the American Saddlebred is not only a performance horse, but also a truly fun and versatile animal.
- Do it for the people. Half the fun of being an ASAW member is meeting the great variety of people who share your passion for these wonderful animals. The ASAW sponsors a number of events annually to showcase the American Saddlebred and the folks like you, who help make this breed so interesting to watch, ride and drive. Three of our major events are the ASAW Annual Awards Banquet, the ASAW Summer Academy Horse Show, and the ASAW Summer Fun Horse Show. All of these gatherings are a great way to meet other Saddlebred enthusiasts and learn more about this special breed.Do it for the news. The ASAW is a great source of news and information about Saddlebreds. In addition, the ASAW will provide you news about horse shows, clinics, meetings and anything else affecting Saddlebreds in Wisconsin and the nation.
- Do it to compete. If you have a horse (or access to one), and plan to show him, the ASAW offers you a chance to compete for high-point trophies in over 80 categories. We present these awards annually, for ASAW approved A and B circuit shows, in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota, on the basis of performance.
- Do it to save. As an ASAW member you can join the American Horse Show Association (AHSA) and the American Saddlebred Horse Association (ASHA) at a reduced rate. Even just an ASHA associate membership entitles you to a subscription of their awarding magazine, The American Saddlebred. In addition, the ASAW has recently worked to get some extra valuable benefits specifically for ASAW members. These benefits are easily worth over $75 in value. Our new special benefits even include an ASAW prescription drug discount card. Our ASAW Benefit Partners include Pizza Hut, Valvoline Oil, Horse Emporium, Thunder Bay Grille, Osteen Photography and Careington International (prescription drug discount card). Look for these valuable benefit coupons when you receive your ASAW membership confirmation letter.
- Do it out of love. Would you like to see more a American Saddlebreds in your area…as well as more happy Saddlebred owners, riders, and drivers and how about more Saddlebred shows? The ASAW gives you the opportunity to help accomplish these goals by promoting the breed you love. By becoming a member, you’ll help shape the future of American Saddlebred in the upper Midwest. Also, we encourage you to be an active participant. The ASAW is a non-profit organization, made up of volunteers just like you. Membership and horse nomination fees are our primary source of revenue. We use these fees to not only fund our many Saddlebred related activities, but also to help finance the ASAW Scholarship Fund. Each year, the Fund provides over $7,000 of scholarship money to deserving young adults headed to college. Your membership support of the ASAW helps make this possible.
- Select the level of membership you desire from those listed on the application form.
- Fill out the form and mail it with your check to:
2840 North 84th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53222
- Have fun and join the excitement that Saddlebreds bring. The ASHA lists over 1,700 members in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota, with almost 700 of these members living in Wisconsin. Come join the fun and join the American Saddlebred Association of Wisconsin.
Email us at